It’s been a good January so far, even though I’m mysteriously dead tired every morning I have to wake up for work, but still. Two weeks into the new year, and I’m yearning to write a list of all things good, so here we go.
- Daylight: I’m starting to see the change. Not in the mornings, but in the afternoons. If I leave the office at 3.45 p.m. there’s still some daylight left. It’s now some three weeks to mid-February. Only three!
- Skiing: Hated it as a child, learned to like it as a teenager in Lapland, forgot it for years, and now have found it again. To glide across quiet, snowy fields on a calm evening is nearing perfection.
- Fried noodles: Had plenty of them in Laos, but somehow have forgotten to cook them here in Finland. Lots of veggies, rice noodles, an egg, oyster sauce, sesame oil and there you are.
- Eat Pray Love: I got the book as a gift some time ago, and have been reading it slowly. I can’t quite pinpoint what it is that I like, especially as chick lit is not my genre, but somehow the easy-going writing, colourful story, food and the search for some peace of mind suits me.
- The Great Gatsby: I almost can’t wait for the movie. I would like to see it now, please.
- Sauna: We heat our sauna with wood. There’s nothing quite like seeing, hearing and smelling the fire while you relax in the soothing heat.
- Icebug shoes: The Finnish winter can be fickle. Around New Year, the temperature dropped quickly, snow started melting and we got some rain. Right after, everything froze again. You know what follows? Ice. Everywhere. Just plain, pure ice. So I invested in special shoes, Icebugs. They are amazing. Bye bye slippery roads, welcome long, steady walks and unbroken bones!
- Kickstarter: I almost forgot! The great vertical harvest project was funded. It is the first Kickstarter project I’ve backed. Such a good start!
♠ In the meantime: I was pretty happy to read the news of Paloni Concept Store heading out to the New York fashion week with 37 Finnish designers. The pop-up shop will be in the Ivana Helsinki NYC Concept Store. [edit 9.09 p.m. Here’s a news item on the issue in English. Just got to love YLE for producing English news.]
♥ Song of the day: Idan Raichel, Mi’Ma’mamakin (I understand nothing, but it sure sounds great)